Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month: November
Its time to make a change Its time. to give pancreatic cancer patients the outcomes they deserve, its time to reach more people than ever before.
- We need you to help share our message – #PurpleHeart Campaign on social media
- Order you Turn It Purple pack for all the resources you need!
Pancreatic cancer is the UK’s 5th cause of cancer death. With barely any improvements to pancreatic cancer survival rates in the last 50 years, it is clear that there can be no progress without change and we need your help.
- Over 9,000 people die of the disease annually across the UK, often within weeks of diagnosis.
- 5-year survival is under 8% and UK survival lags behind other high-income countries.
- Public awareness levels across the UK are low: 52% of people know ‘almost nothing’ about the disease and 76% can’t name a single symptom.
While these stats paint a bleak picture of the disease, with early diagnosis, pancreatic cancer can be survived. For those diagnosed in time for potentially lifesaving surgery, 5-year survival increases to around 30%. This presents an opportunity for intervention where people can be diagnosed earlier and live longer with a better quality of life.
Pancreatic cancer can affect anyone, but outcomes from the disease vary according to socioeconomic background, ethnicity and age.
There is still much more that can be done- the need to improve pancreatic cancer diagnosis and outcomes is urgent.
Join us this November.