Pancreatic Cancer Symptoms
Pancreatic cancer is sometimes called a “silent cancer” because the early symptoms are often vague and unrecognised. It is only later, when more specific symptoms arise, that patients and doctors consider pancreatic cancer as a possibility, by which time it is often too late for surgery that could cure the cancer.
Classic pancreatic cancer symptoms can include:
- Painless jaundice (yellow skin/eyes, dark urine). This is related to bile duct obstruction
- Weight loss which is significant and unexplained
- Abdominal pain which is new-onset and significant
Other possible symptoms of pancreatic cancer:
- Pain in the upper abdomen that radiates to the back which is new, significant and persistent that is relieved by leaning forward
- Back pain
- Diabetes which is new-onset and not associated with weight gain
- Vague indigestion (dyspepsia) or abdominal discomfort (not responding to prescribed medication)
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain when eating
- Steatorrhea (fatty stools that are often pale and smell foul)
Not everyone will have all of these symptoms. For example, those who have a tumour in the body or tail of the pancreas are unlikely to have painless jaundice. All of these symptoms can have other causes, and there is not yet a reliable and easy test for pancreatic cancer.
If you regularly experience ONE OR MORE of these symptoms which are NOT NORMAL FOR YOU, DO NOT IGNORE THEM, contact your GP straight away.
Keep a symptoms diary:
Keeping track of any symptoms you may be experiencing can be useful when discussing them with your GP. Click here for the Pancreatic Cancer Action symptoms diary.
Contact the NHS 111 Service for help and advice.
For general health information including information on pancreatic cancer
The information provided in this site, or through links to other websites, is not a substitute for medical or professional care and should not be relied upon as such. Read our disclaimer.
Sources and references for this information product will be supplied on request. Please contact us quoting the Information Product number below:
Information Product No. PCA0011v1 | Published: 03/01/2014 | Last Updated: 14/05/2015 | Next Review Due: 03/01/2017