Use our step by step guide to help make your event run smoothly!
Plan a route / Book a date / Keep it legal / Fundraising / On the day / Involve the press / Tell us what you’re doing
Plan a route:
Getting the right route and location is key to a great walk!
It’s a good idea to find a route that has some good landmarks and views and a circular route is easier than a linear one as walkers can get back to transport easily. If you are planning on walking for a long time, make sure you take into account somewhere to eat or recommend that pack lunches are brought along.
You can find lots of routes and ideas at these websites:
- nationaltrust.org.uk boasts a whole host of walking ideas.
- walkingbritain.co.uk is home to varied and unusual walks across the UK.
- walkit.comand www.mapmywalk.com are excellent tools to help you plan your own route from start to finish.
Please keep to a route that does not trespass on any private land and that all dogs are kept on a lead where required.
Book a date:
You can organise your event anytime throughout the year but ideally, we would like as many of you as possible to join us during June as this is when the flagship Striding event is held in Virginia Water meaning we can all make a huge impact!
Book a start time and make sure that all your group are aware when the event is likely to finish as well.
Keep it legal:
- If your group exceeds 30 people or takes on a particular route, you may need to get permission from the local council.
- Make sure you carry out a Risk Assessment prior to your event taking place. You can find out more about risk assessment here.
- You should obtain liability insurance for your event if you are recruiting members of the public to take part. Ideally, your insurance should cover any medical problems that occur during the event, as well as incidentals such as damage to land and property. Contact an insurance provider to discuss your event and the coverage they offer.
- If you are taking photos of members of the public, please make sure they sign a photo release form.
You can either set a specific fundraising target for the whole group or let everyone fundraise their own amounts. Let everyone know what you are planning and why in plenty of time. You can set up an on-line fundraising page at Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving and download extra sponsorship forms from our website.
You can start a team page through www.Justgiving.com/pancreaticcanceraction by signing in and selecting “Your Fundraising” from the menu. You can then select “Start a new team”, give it a name and add your members!
If you would like any other fundraising materials to help make your event extra special please email us at or call the office 0303 040 1770. We have balloons, banners, t-shirts, collection tins, posters and leaflets to make your event stand out!
Other ways to raise funds:
- Place one of our Change 4 Change tins in your local shop, pub or workplace to collect funds
- See if your employer offers match funding
- Ask participants to pay a registration fee (we suggest between £5 and £10 under 16ys can go free!)
- Hold an afterparty with a raffle, quiz or lucky dip
- Use one of our Guess The Name Of The Bear games
On the day:
Make sure you are well prepared for any weather and take a small first aid pack with you. Make sure everyone has mobile numbers of members of the group in case anyone gets lost and that everyone has route map. We also advise a good pair of walking boots for a long distance!
Make sure you have filled out a risk assessment of your route and have considered the health and safety of your walkers.
Involve the press:
A great way to raise more awareness about pancreatic cancer and your event is to get your local newspaper to run a story. Make sure that you give as many details as you can and also supply them with lots of photos! If you can, invite them to come along on the day!
If you need help with a press release, please contact and let us know what you have planned.
Tell us what you are doing!
We love to hear all about your activities and see photos and videos from your event so please do get in touch by:
- Uploading any photos to our Striding for Survival facebook group! facebook.com/Stridingforsurvival
- Tagging us on Instagram pancreatic_cancer_action
- Tweet us @OfficialPCA