Get active for a good cause
You may have heard in the news today that more than 20 million Britons are ‘physically inactive’ according to a report by the British Heart Foundation. The report is using the government guidelines for physical activity, which is 150 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity a week.
We have some amazing fundraisers doing incredible physical challenges throughout the year, but you don’t have to run a marathon or spend hours in the gym to get more active if this doesn’t appeal to you! Here are a few tips on how to get started…
- Make small changes in your day to day life, for example, taking the stairs instead of the lift, parking further away from your destination and walking places when possible. This can all contribute to more physical activity in your day and, according to the NHS, can contribute to good mental wellbeing.
- Find an activity you enjoy and incorporate it more into your day to day life whether it is cycling, swimming, dancing, walking/running or something else.
- Get fit for free! Being more active doesn’t have to cost money either, there are a wide variety of activities you can do for free, like the ones mentioned above, but here is a list of some fun, free activies..http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/free-fitness.aspx.
- Get the kids and family involved! With the weather improving family picnic with a walk around a park and sports days are a fun way getting moving.
- If you want to get more active but also raise money for charity then a great way of doing this is to take part in our ‘Couch to 5k for PCA’. Couch to 5K is a free nine-week running plan for people who want to be more active. It’s perfect if you’re new to running – the plan is all about starting slowly and building up gradually. Anyone at all can start Couch to 5K- so why not start today?! -> https://pancreaticcanceraction.org/support-us/fundraise/fundraise/running-challenges/couch-to-5k-for-pca/