Private care / self-funding

As a self-funder you can arrange and pay for your care yourself without involving your local authority at all.

Some councils may assist in helping you to find care or pay for your care and then bill you, though they may charge a fee for this.

It can be expensive and difficult to budget for your care. You can hire a personal assistant or private carer
but there are some legal consequences to becoming an employer. Financial help is available through the Money Advice Service, a free information service.

A deferred payment scheme can be applied for if your money is in a property that has not yet been sold but you needed to enter a care home for example. Your local authority can provide information and advice on how your care needs can be best managed.