Financial assistance/local authority funded package of care

If you qualify for financial assistance this will normally come in the form of a personal budget or local authority assistance.

You can choose to receive a regular sum of money called a personal budget and this can only be spent on social care. This can be managed by social services, an organisation such as a charity or a direct payment to yourself or someone of your choosing to manage.

If social services help to manage your personal budget, then they can assist in finding a care agency or care home to suit you. If you chose to manage your budget yourself you can use the money to hire a carer, however this gives you the responsibility of an employer, something you do not have using an agency.

The Money Advice Service can give you more information about becoming an employer.