Scientific Advisory Committee
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) has been established to advise the Board of Trustees and Chief Executive of the Charity on its research strategies and policies relating to the funding of research grants, recommending change and development as appropriate.
The SAC will ensure independent review of grant proposals for research funding and make recommendations to the Trustees for the allocation of research funds. The SAC will oversee processes for timely monitoring and reporting of funded research activity.
The SAC is to provide independent scientific advice to PCA’s Board of Trustees and Chief Executive on the following areas:
- Develop and maintain an overview of pancreatic cancer research being undertaken worldwide, and to identify and make recommendations on the most appropriate areas for research investment by the Charity, either alone or in partnership with other organisations and in line with PCA’s Charitable Objects.
- Whether to fund specific research proposals and provide recommendations on individual grant applications in a timely fashion, so that grant round deadlines can be met.
- To make recommendations on the establishment of effective processes for inviting (and making decisions on) high quality research applications.
- Help identify and recruit external peer reviewers to undertake evaluations of individual research applications where applicable.
- To ensure clear, measurable outcomes such as evidence of project planning and budgeting, form part of the grant awarding process.
- Ensuring that all research is conducted to the highest ethical standards, complies with all relevant regulations and guidelines, and is conducted in an environment which supports the highest standards of research governance.
View current members of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Scientific Advisory Committee here