Research Review Process
All applications which fit the eligibility criteria are externally reviewed by our Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) which is wholly independent of Pancreatic Cancer Action’s Board of Trustees or Charity administrative staff.
As Pancreatic Cancer Action is not tied to a specific research centre we can ensure we select the most talented researchers, best science and meaningful projects to fund wherever they are in the UK.
Our Scientific Advisory Committee includes a significant number of non-beneficiaries. We have a conflict of interest policy and potential beneficiaries are not present when decisions are made as part of the research review process.
The Research Review Process
Two external reviews are required for each grant application. They are responsible for evaluating the research proposals in advance of the SAC meetings.
The key criteria include:
- Innovation – is this project challenging current thinking/techniques?
- Aims – will this project achieve its stated aims?
- Unique – projects must not duplicate effort
- Impact – will this project help advance early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer?
- Funding – what is the chance of this project attracting further funding?