Going to hospital for surgery
In the first couple of days you will be wearing a hospital gown but after this you will need night clothes then loose-fitting normal clothes once you are able to move independently.
It is recommended that you only take the essentials when you are first admitted, then get a friend or relative to bring in a second ‘top-up’ bag after a few days.
Some suggestions for what to pack
Initial bag for first few days
- Basic wash bag to include toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush/comb, flannel, soap, shaver/razor, lip salve (lips are often dry after surgery).
- Loose-fitting slippers (your feet can swell after an operation) with grips on the bottom or thick socks with grips on bottom
- Reading glasses
- Mobile phone and charger
- Medication that you normally take
Second top-up bag
- Extended wash bag to include shampoo, shower gel, deodorant, make-up
- Night clothes, dressing gown, loose-fitting day clothes
- Clean underwear
- Small hand towel
- Sanitary towels or tampons
- Fruit squashes and small snacks such as biscuits, chocolate, sweets, non-refrigerated deserts (jellies, rice puddings)
- Small amount of money for newspapers/snacks
- Address book and/or important phone numbers
- Antibacterial hand gel or wipes
The information provided in this site, or through links to other websites, is not a substitute for medical or professional care and should not be relied upon as such. Read our disclaimer.
Sources and references for this information product will be supplied on request. Please contact us quoting the Information Product number below:
|Information Product №||PCA0012 v.1 pgs 20 -21||Published||15/10/2019|
|Last Updated||16/10/2019||Next Review Due||15/10/2022|